I left New Orleans around 6:49 on Saturday evening and arrived in Houston about an hour later. I walked up to the Continental informational counter to inquire on where I should squat for the evening since the gate number for my flight thirteen hours later had yet to be posted. I also asked about hotels, and since there was a service that gave discounts to layover'd passengers, I took the opportunity to ride the free shuttle to the Ramada Inn ten miles away. I used their wireless in the lounge and talked with Jesse :) but I was unable to connect with Mia :( I ended up ordering disappointing Chinese food because the kitchen closed around the time I wanted food. But (Pero), my fortune cookie read "People are naturally attracted to you." It was interesting and different staying in a hotel by myself. As independent as it was, I don't plan on doing it again. Just to let ya'll know, in the middle of typing, I get the urge every now and again to burst into Spanish. My little parentheticals will have to suffice. So the next morning I took the shuttle to the airport. Whilst waiting to board, I ran into a group from Loyola (but I only talked with Gaby) that was on the same (mismo) flight as I was going to be on. (It was some biology course or trip; no se). But, what a coincidence. I sat in seat (asiento) 21E in between two lovely human beings--one from Pasadena, TX, and the other from Xela or Quetzaltenago (hint: where I am). The woman (mujer) was very friendly (amigable)--she taught me that word... The three of us talked throughout the flight, and Ony'l (lady from Xela, now living in Guatemala City, o la Capital) told me that if I wanted her to show me around, to call/email her. I know what you might be thinking, but I know she's a good person. She gave me a lot of good advice. The aerial view of Guatemala and the surrounding areas was pretty awesome. La Capital is so big, much bigger than New Orleans, I'd say. And, someone (though I forget who) told me that about 1/2 the country's population (poblacion) lives there. Goodness, I'm getting tired and I have barely begun. Well, Carolina and her mom picked me up from the airport. It's funny because after Customs, you go and pick up your bags, and then, you walk outside (after giving another form to an official) to find a crowd of people behind barricades looking at you, wondering if their person is next. Carolina and her mom called my name though, and I awkwardly meandered through the taxi-pushers, and went to their car. During the ride to her house, I was both refreshed and provoked mentally (if that makes sense) by the scenery because (porque) in a way, it was unlike anything I had seen--the mixture of old and new and tons of people out (it was Sunday) and advertisements and really defensive driving. I liked it a lot, but I don't think I'd want to live there. So we went to her house, which was one of the nicest and cleanest houses I have ever been in. Okay, pathetic, but I'm going to have to stop here because I know once I get started on the rest of the trip, I won't want to stop. Y estoy muy consada (And, I'm very tried). Pero, la manana, yo tratare me levantar temprano. Buenas noches! Ahh, yo deseo a escribir! Y tengo ADD!
1 comment:
Food Food Food!! I want to know about the food. Also, you need to find a specialty bread, learn the recipe, and bring it back to the states!!
Love you!
Post a Comment