Thursday, June 11, 2009

El cuatro dia

Really quickly. Today's been okay. I went with my teacher (Astrid) to Salcaja. In this pueblo is the oldest church (iglesia) in all of Central America. It's called Villa de Hermitia (?...hermit in Spanish). I googled it, with minimal results. Anyway, I bought Jesse two small bottles of the sangria they make there. I was told by one of my classmates (the only other one really in the morning, Luis) that theirs is amazing. I tried it, and it was okay, but I think Jesse may like it and we can drink it together (I hope he'll share...jeje). But, I went there and the bus ride there was nice because it's like an old schoolbus that has been pimped out--Guatemalan style--complete with a sound system and happy music. Views of the area were both breath-taking, but eventhe  images of "development" and some "poverty" were provoking (for lack of a better word). I had to borrow Luis' (really Louis from Houston) because I didn't bring mine this morning to the school, and I didn't go home for lunch (almuerzo) before my afternoon activity. I had lunch with him since he's leaving tomorrow at 1 in the morning. We ate at this nice restaurant that's called Balcon Enrique or Balcón de Enrique and talked for a while. It overlooks El Parque Central y las moñtanas and he took some photos that he'll forward to me. He's homesick and misses his girlfriend. But, he's been to Xela twice before so it's not like he's unfamiliar with the area. Well, I should go catch the bus now. I'll write more later.

No comments: