Friday, June 12, 2009

Finally, I am writing...

Well, it's 9:30, and while some friends from la Universidad asked me last night if I could go out with them, I would rather lay in bed on my first Friday evening. One day I'd like to go out and with them for café o té or to bailar (dance), but I've had such an eventful week that I think I need to collect my thoughts, emotions and reserve my physical strength. That, and if I'm at home, I get to talk to people I love :) But, that's not to say that my day wasn't exciting and new (but isn't every day here, so far?). Sunday will mark a week that I've been in Guatemala. My plans for this weekend are pretty minimal. I need to study for my exam in Historia Economica de Centroamerica, and I told Nohemy that I would go to church with the family if I didn't go to Chichicastenango. With Luis returned back to the States, it seems as though I'm the only student that they need to cater to, with regard to actividades, and I told Ruth today that I'd rather wait until the following Sunday because I would probably be tired this weekend. The market in Chichicastenango is supposed to be great, with plenty of good deals...especially if you get there around 6 like we were planning on doing, but I want this first weekend here to be pretty lowkey. So I'll be reading the photocopy of the book for the class and reviewing my lessons from the 4 hours of language class I've had each day this week. But, mira (look), in the university here, they don't require you to buy books (except for maybe medicine or a like subject); rather, the professor leaves a copy in the kisosko de fotocopias in the college or department, and students request a copy. I had to pay 7.50 quetzales (Q), but that's less than a dollar for however many chapters it is. Add it up, and it's far less than the inflated textbook prices in los Estados Unidos. In any case, I was pleased with that, and I don't think this exam will be too difficult, but I will need to study.

I went to Las Fuentas Georginas today with one of the teachers (maestras) from Proyecto Linguistic Santa Maria (PLSM), my language school. The escuela is named after one of the nearby volcanos (volcanes), and I get to visit one soon. Las Fuentas Georginas are hotsprings in the mountainous rain forest. This was my first time going to a hotspring (fuenta), but they're amazing. (And, the 30-minute/each way busride cost Q50, and Q20 for the entrance. That's roughly a little under 9 USD!) I'm posting some photos on facebook, but I recommend that everyone try to visit them (or one) one day. The drive up is breath-taking, though somewhat troubling at times with the narrow roads, other cars/buses in the winding, and the fog (neblina). But, Milvia and I were there for about 3 hours. We got really pruney, and it was relaxing and tiring. But, here I am, a little refreshed. Milvia said that more tourists go there, and I actually met a church group from Colorado, a guy from California and a man from New York. On the way back, the driver (conductor) stopped in Zunil, where we were able to see and enter a beautiful old church. Upon returning to Xela, we decided to eat a semi-fastfood place called Ricca Burguer. It was like a fastfood place, but you had a waiter. After our burgers (though the had other things), we went our separate ways, and I went home. Nohemy told me that my room had been rearranged because they bought me a new bed; my former one had been a part of a bunk bed (the other part belonging to Sergio, her 26-year-old son) so we both got new ones. It's a comfy and firm mattress and I like it better than my former one. Someone needed the bunkbed and so it's going to that person. I got to talk to Jesse for a while, and I called my sister and my dad. I still need to mail some postcards because I didn't have time to stop by the postal today, but perhaps they'll be open tomorrow (if I want to leave the house). If I get enough work done, I think I will. Today was full--9-12:30 class in the escuela, but we took a break to look for a swimsuit in this cheap clothing store called Bulocks. I bought Mia a shirt and Carlito, an outfit (with a truck that lights up when you push it). I didn't find a swimsuit that I liked which was fine because Nohemy gave me a one-piece to borrow this morning. Mia's shirt only cost Q26, which is a little over 3 USD. Then, at 1:00, I had almuerzo (lunch)--pollo, papas fritas (but not french fries), broccoli, carrots and soup. I also had homemade corn tortillas (like they always have) and some of the best guacamole I have had! At 1:30, I returned to the school, and until 6:30, was my actividad with Milvia (hotsprings and dinner). Oh, I think I got asked out on my way back to the school after lunch. A boy--I think he was in his late teens--asked me if I wanted to go with him and his friends to Santa Maria tomorrow (if I understood him correctly). I said no because I'm going with my family, but then he asked me for my number. I told him no because I lost my phone. It was all true, but he was rather forward, and I found declining surprisingly easier to do in Spanish than in English. Anyhow, I think I'll go to bed. I did write in my Spanish diary today so I'm doing better with writing. More about this past week, tomorrow morning!

No comments: