Friday, September 18, 2009

Goals. Maybe one should be updating on a regular basis, with shorter posts...

I haven't updated in a while, and I'm feeling somewhat lackadaisical about this blog. This week Drew came New Orleans and we kind of did some errands around New Orleans and hung out. It was nice and relaxing. She suggest that perhaps I make a new blog since the inception of this one was the result of my going to Guatemala. I may do just that, but for now, I'm going to keep on updating this one because I don't want to have to manage multiple accounts (I also have a livejournal). Also, she said she'll help me with the layout soon. Neill reformatted my livejournal; I'm so clueless when it comes to html code, among other computer functions. I also need to come up with a fitting blogger username should I decided to start a new blog.

Anyhow, I just want to jot down a quick list of things to do tomorrow or within the next few days. I'll probably be going to a coffee shop and since Jesse will be at the library with Lydia, filling out applications for the BAR exam, I'll probably want some company; I think I'm going to ask Mia. Oak Street sounds good for tomorrow. Z'otz or Rue...hmm. But, I have to complete the following this week
- make my lesson plans for teaching ESL at the West Bank field site. I accepted a volunteer position with Catholic Charities about a month and a half ago and since the orientation, I haven't opened the text books and handouts they provided us. I begin teaching not this week, but the following, but I want to have a tentative syllabus for the entire semester. I'm excited about this, and though the class is supposed to be conducted in 90+% English (total immersion as I'll be teaching the second to lowest level - 1, after pre-beginner), I'm still excited that I may get to practice my Spanish...
- which brings me to another thing I should start doing--reviewing my Spanish. Since Guate, I've scarcely picked up my notebook or any Spanish books. Sure, I write and text in Spanish when I have someone to do so with, but that's not going to help. I talked to Veronica this week (she's coming in for Halloween!!), and she finally went to an Italian language group meet-up (like at a cafe or something) to practice hers (only this one is in Dallas, and not La Divina). But, she said, her Italian is considerably rusty after 9 months (since her semester in Italy). I don't want that to happen to me. I also want to work on my French (or begin again if you consider my 10 year hiatus). There's a lot that I want to accomplish, but I just am not as motivated as a should be.
- I want to read more. I'll get to that in another post. 
- I will be studying for the GRE sometime soon (i.e., this weekend) because I want to take the GRE next month. Hopefully, I'll have the money to do so. Also, upon Drew's suggestion, I think I'm going to get the Kaplan book when I get my next paycheck. That is, if LSU will get its shit together and pay me. I called their HR about 2 weeks after I should have gotten paid, and they said they had yet to receive my paperwork.
- I worked out at Reily with Neill today, but I had wanted to go running sometime after (Jesse and I went to Best Buy), but my mom got lost in Lafayette and I stayed on the phone with her until it was approaching sundown. She was going there to see Mia's meet, but never made it because she ended up surrounded by sugar cane fields. Don't worry, she's fine now. Point of this bullet is, I need to make exercising a regular thing; it had been three days since I went, but excuses kept coming up. I go strong for a few days, and then for numerous reasons, I just slack off. Neill and Jesse both had something critical (in a good way) to say about my photos on that modeling contest site. I am asking Aziz to do a tfp shoot, and I'm going to be looking to work on my portfolio. But, I can't do that if I'm not in shape!
- Lydia and Mia are coming over for dinner on Wednesday. We're having my homemade hummus, and I'm trying a falafel recipe from one my cookbooks. I'll also be making some Isreali couscous. Drew introduced me to it when we were at the Kosher store in Metairie this past Wednesday (she also bought it for me). I'm looking forward to tasting it. Lydia's making chicken, maybe something like chicken shwarma. I'd like to get my hands on a bottle of Moscato,  a Kosher wine, but if not, we have that bottle of Riesling. 

Well, this is all I'm going to post for now on goals.

On a different note, I'll be babysitting a 17-month old, the daughter of a former-colleague of mine (see below). I don't know how often, but Holli asked me to do so and she lives near Whole Foods so it's not so out of the way. I went to her house on Monday to meet her daughter, and then we went to Mikimoto's on Carollton. So good, though not as good as Kyoto. 

I have another interview on Monday, this one for a position with Louise S. McGehee Little Gate. It's to be an Early Childhood Assistant position, and today, someone I worked with LSU Early Reading First told me that she's personal friends with the head of Little Gate and she'd give me a recommendation. Today was my last day (for this semester) with LSU because our testing has come to an end; post-testing will occurs in April, but hopefully, by then, I'll have a nice, full-time job with benefits (as well as preparing for my fall semester of grad school?). About half the group met up after and went to Dong Phuong in New Orleans East. It was a nice lunch with all these people that I'm become accustomed to after 3.5 weeks. The bubble tea was made with real fruit! I got jackfruit; the portions were huge and delicious, and the best part--a Vietnamese bakery was attached. Oh the fragrance of buns! Anyhow, that's all I'll say for now. Hopefully, in my next post, I'll be able to tell you of some accomplishment for my list that I've made.

I'll also try to recap some of what else has been going on in my life in future post(s).

2 comments:

Drew said...

Your life is much more productive than mine.

I'm trying to find some kind of job (not retail) but I exited out of like 3 applications tonight because I just didn't feel like scurrying around trying to find my references and all their info. I'm getting lazy. It sucks.

Can't wait to see you again!

Estranged Jazz said...

Ha, from the sounds of your blog, yours is more productive. Yesterday, I more-or-less decided if I don't get this job I'm interviewing for tomorrow, I'll settle for waiting tables so I can have the schedule I want for doing other things. Reading (maybe writing), cooking, studying for the GRE. I still want to get back into playing the piano. Plus, though the hours suck, the money for waiting tables is so good. Anyhow, I took the verbal and math sections of the diagnostic test in my Barron's book today...the results weren't good. But, I'm going to study!

As far as being lazy goes, we both should keep each other in check.

Hope to see you soon! Dunno of anything exciting coming up soon, but at least we get to Habitat soon. I think we're going to BR next weekend (Jesse's bestfriend and his are having a baby today), but one Sunday, you, J, me and Jess should go to NOMA and lunch :)