I've been pretty annoyed by LSU lately because I was supposed to get my first paycheck from them over three weeks ago. So my part-time, temporary employment with LSU (through the NIH-funded Early Reading First Project Recovery) ended this past Friday, and while most of my colleagues have already been paid the first pay period's and the second pay period's paychecks, I have neither. Finally, my boss was able to get a response after emailing a couple of times and visiting LSU; they said that I should have my check this Monday, which she believes to mean more likely Tuesday or Wednesday. This is ridiculous. Apparently, it was a paperwork error in accounting, but it's really upsetting. I've had no money for about 5 days now! Luckily, I checked my Sallie Mae account yesterday, and they deferred my payments until early next year (because I sent in my lack of employment form), but I had believed that I'd be paying this month. And, I had wanted to start paying because it'll be the beginning of decreasing that $19,000+ that I, myself, owe. Not to mention what my mom's been paying on another; I need to pick those payments up eventually. Anyhow, I'll just wait until I have a steady enough income to pay the loan in addition to rent. I'm giving Jesse a portion this month, but I can't wait for the day that I can pay fully; he's been doing so for so long because of my lack of employment. But, things look like they're getting better. For instance, the job at Louise S. McGehee's Little Gate (www.littlegate.com) that I interviewed for Monday looks to be a good direction for my life. They asked me to come in today to shadow another girl and try out the position. I hope I enjoy it as much as I did shadowing another girl during my interview. It's a really good school (really a daycare, preschool), but I don't want to get too attached until I know I have the position indefinitely. So I'll write more about that after I've worked a day or two. :)
Yesterday, Drew came into town again. We ended up going to the Uptown Farmers' Market (Tuesdays at Tulane Broadway Square). It was nice, as usual, though I've only been there a couple of times before. It was her first time at this one, and we liked a lot of what we saw. We also ran into a couple of my friends; Natalie works for the nonprofit that puts on the market so that was cool for me to realize what she does and now fun her job mst be. Drew got purple hull peas and tomatoes. I got a tomato plant, a bak choy plant and a basil plant (all for only $4). Let's hope I don't kill them. But, there were so many yummy things that I would have liked to have bought (including the 7 varieties of basil), but we were on a mission (to cook our Thai Red Curry, butternut squash, lime, ginger, tofu, coconut cream soup--I forget the real name). Since the farmers' market is all local produce, we didn't find most of the ingredients we needed, but we just ended up going to Langenstein's and Curry Corner after to pick up the others. Gosh, our soup was good, though the process of making it was amusing. Imagine me and Drew in the kitchen. I'm trying to cut a butternut squash and it's falling right under me, making a scattered mess (after I had swept that morning). Anyhow, I made Mia and Jesse (and was planning on making myself) steaks for dinner, but I just had another bowl of soup because it was such a filling lunch (soup and naan parata-sp?) and I couldn't go for heavy meat (and I like to think in spite of the coconut cream and peanut oil, it's a relatively healthy soup). Mia tried it and she liked it, which was good because she's still a little sick. But, she made herbed mashed potatoes, and I cooked the asparagus and mixed a small salad for Jesse.
Drew, Jes, and I want to go to the Hollygrove Market one Saturday though because you get an entire bag of fruits and veggies for only $25! One of Mahsa's friends was biking past us on Saturday morning so we met her and she informed us of this niceity! Anyhow, Neill wants to go to the farmers' market next week so hopefully I'll be able to (while still maintaining a job). I'm supposed to meet with SLICE managers and employees on Friday because, now, the Magazine location is supposed be early next week. If I have the Little Gate job though, and it's more-or-less full-time, I'm quitting SLICE. I really do like SLICE, and I don't mind waiting tables (as I've said several times before), but I'm ready to move on to my next non-restaurant-working party of my life. But, then again, the money is so good! I begin teaching ESL on the Westbank next week (and I still need to finish (or begin :/) my lesson plans--today or tomorrow!) Monday, I went to the site to register some of our adult students, and I got to use Spanish! But, at first, I was really nervous because I was rusty. That'll subside with time, I guess. (The class is supposed to be conducted 90-plus percent in English anyway since it's an immersion program.)
Drew's supposed to be back on Friday so I'm going to bake bread and we'll probably make something new! (Her blog is so much better at describing our experiences) But, next time, maybe I'll write more of an ethnography of whatever it is we cook. It'll be like a writing exercise...I'm such a nerd.
Tonight, I'm making couscous, falafel and hummus! Lydia's bringing over her version of chicken shwarma, and Neill's bringing pita and juice. Jesse has his second class tonight so he'll be getting in later, and Mia will come over after practice.
Things to do today:
-grocery shopping (with Neill after I get off of work)
-run a load of laundry, do dishes
-tea time with Jesse Maxwell
-run (didn't go running yesterday)
-no time for GRE prepwork today, I guess
-doubt I'll have time to write lesson plans
(last two will be for tomorrow)
So it's 6:04 now. Do I have time to sleep a little before I take a shower and get ready for work. We'll see...
No comments:
Post a Comment