Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fleur de Tease


Tonight I went to my first ever burlesque show. It was rather spontaneous as around 9:43ish, I was doing some research on the woman I'm interviewing tomorrow for an Amelie G piece, and I noticed her troop went on at 10 at One Eyed Jack's. So after contemplating a few minutes and throwing on some clothes, I drove the three-minute drive, found parking, waited in a line and then stood up a good 20 minutes until the show began. Jesse didn't want to come, and I can't blame him since I decided to go less than 10 minutes before. But, then again, burlesque isn't really his thing either.

I'm tried, and I have lots to do tomorrow. But, I'll share more about the show and the woman I'm interviewing, Trixie Minx. I'm still processing it all, I guess. The show, I mean. It wasn't what I expected, but I don't know much I liked it and how much I didn't yet. I told Jes when I walked in a few minutes ago that I guess I thought it would be more classic. And, he questioned, like Moulin Rouge? And, that's not it, but I can't put my finger on it. I left early too so though I think I saw at least one act of each of the members, I missed the finale with the ensemble of characters. I'd give it another chance, but I don't think it would be something I regularly go to. I didn't feel gross as if I was in a strip club, but I did feel a little awkward by myself. And, this show was their Halloween one so probably the irreverence isn't always as gorey. Like I said, I'll get back to it once I've had time to make a solid opinion.

But, boy, would this have been a good place to write an ethnography on! Oh, and even though it may have been irresponsible and unpredictable, it felt kind of good to ignore my inhibitions. If that makes sense.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Ahhhh!!! You get to interview Trixie Minx?!?! I'm so jealous! I adore burlesque! She's supposed to be awesome!