Sunday, May 29, 2011

Am I a dinosaur?

There is such an incredible world of social media out there right now, and I just don't know how to keep up. Between tumblr and twitter, flickr and facebook, fourquare and pinterest, how do I know what I should use and how long I'll be able to use it before the next fad overshadows it? I like the aesthetic of pinterest and tumblr (and is tumblr the new blogspot?). I like the practicality of fourquare. I find "checking in" on sights like facebook and foursquare somewhat big brother/weird to be giving over 1000 "friends" your location. There are so many blogs and newsfeeds or rss's that I'd like to follow, but I don't have the time between work and play, nor do I know where to begin. Anthropologie just launched their own tumblr (powered by Roam--what is Roam), etymologie. There are so great suggestions of other blogs and feeds on the "What we're reading" tab, but I almost feel to keep up with the news and what's going on in social media land, I have to give up my day job. Trust me, not happening. I very much enjoy working in paper retail, making people happy one piece of stationary at a time; not to mention, I can barely support myself with a job. Anyhow, I just thought I'd put this out there, vent on my lack of internet intelligence, and hope sometime soon one of my friends will be able to take me under her wings and give me a good, sit-down crash course in Social Media 101.

Here's an example of a nice suggestion from etymologie:

Another question, which of the following phones do I get?

In other news, 6 days til I'm 25.

No comments: