Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What a weekend!

This past weekend was my quarter of a century birthday weekend! June 5th, Sunday. So the weekend began quite nicely with Jes taking me out to dinner at Domenica, John Besh's Italian restaurant inside of the Roosevelt. We had delicious octopus carpaccio and a clam pizza that all but melted in your mouth. I decided after dinner that I'd want to go to the Sazerac Restaurant (also in The Roosevelt) for brunch on my birthday. We made plans to do that and then preceded to run some errands in the Elmwood area. Best Buy, Michael's, Pier One and World Market. Once I got home, I realized that I had forgotten to swing by Holli's house and walk Balto; I was house-sitting while they were out of town so I went to do that by myself . Returning, I parked the car on the street, on Union right off of Carondelet adjacent to the Hibernia Building. That was at 11 pm.

The next morning I woke up extra early to pick up Mia before we drove to Lake Charles for Kayla's pre-wedding planning and bridal party festivities. Around 6:50, low and behold, I walk to my car and notice that there is quite a bit of shattered glass next to my driver's side in the street. I get closer and realize that two front windows are smashed. Exactly one week before we move out of the CBD, one week before we move to Mid-City, after nearly a year of parking on the street at night. I'm speechless, shocked. In fact, today I'm still in disbelief. I calmly walk back to the apartment after a failed attempt at calling Jesse and let him know what's happened. He walks down with me to check it out and we call the police. All the while I'm still calm because I have yet to realize what a deductible is and that my insurance will actually be covering none of the damages. We wait for the police. We wait and wait and wait some more. I've already called Mia and asked Mia to call Ms. Raven telling her that we won't be able to meet them in BR and follow them to Lake Charles, but rather, we'll be late all together because Mia's gonna have to drive and we're still waiting for the police. Finally, he gets there. He's quite nice so, again, I can't be mad that two other police past me by though I attempted to flag them down, and I've been waiting an hour by now. Thank goodness I had Jesse for all of it and Mia towards the end.

How can anyone be so mean or malicious? It didn't even appear that anything had been tampered with. No signs of any actions toward stealing anything, not that I had anything of value. And, why two windows? Not even on the same side. The CCTV on the Hibernia Building, unfortunately, did not point in my car's direction. The police asked me if anyone was angry with me. I can't imagine so! Anyway, that was Saturday morning for me. I wasn't angry. Sad, annoyed at my lack of financial stability in light of this new development, but not angry. How could I be? The rest of the weekend was so lovely. To this day it is. Other than this last day of 24 occurrence, the weekend was wonderful. Thus, 25 looks like it's gonna be a good year!

Recount of other activities to follow :)
-Oyster Fest
-Baru
-brunch on the house
-the most amazing work birthday lunch ever
-letterpressing

No comments: