Saturday, June 25, 2011

The usual: confused about career aspirations

I'm still on the fence about what I want to do in life. Sometimes I wonder what life will be like once I've finished my Master's. Will I continue along with what I'm doing, working in a wonderful environment surrounded by lovely people and fine papers? Will I continue freelancing for Amelie G? Will I have gone into business with Drew? Will I have written anything substantial and worthwhile (i.e., a book)? Will I want to teach? And, if so, what levels? Each of these is a partial desire of mine. I just don't know how to make all of them happen and coincide.

I was just on facebook checking out a random girl that I knew in high school's profile, and I went to her blogspot to see she's teaching ESL somewhere in Africa! I used to want to teach in Africa or Latin America. I taught ESL for a year in New Orleans. I did enjoy it, but it's not really what I want to do longterm, but I would love the experience! At 25, am I now too old to do things for the experience?

I'm working on a piece for Amelie G for which I've interviewed a young, passionate, already well-established artist, and talking to her for more than two hours last Sunday was really motivational for me. I thought, well, she followed her heart and was successful; with a little more planning and will, I can too, right? Hearing her speak about how she's pictured goals and worked toward them, I also felt a little little lazy, but when I get home, I'm usually tired from having been standing up all day. Excuse? My job is exciting for me though; I like the creative aspects and the social ones, and my flexible schedule allows me to do other things like go to her studio space on a Thursday afternoon (which I did this past week).

I'm slowly cutting all the babysitting out of my life although I'm nanny for Adele twice a week for the summer, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. This coming up week, Dr. Garza (former Anthro professor) asked me to babysit, too, which is good because since I quit nannying for Molly (in May), not only have I been out of a substantial amount of income each month, but expenses seem to arise (e.g., car break-in and subsequent window replacement, Pippa's vaccines). Jesse's 30th birthday is next month so I to give him a big present, not necessarily physically big, but something he would really love. I've got something in the works, but I can't say yet lest he actually read my blog. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some extra hours to afford it.

Lastly, I need to work on my summer course. Is this Master's the end, or will I want to go to school for Anthropology? Where will I apply? Will Jesse be happy to move again someday? We fit and feel Mid City so much right now. Where will we go? Well, those are my morning thoughts. Happy weekend!

No comments: