Sunday, August 23, 2009

hiatus, hiatus, hiatus...when long entries happen

I was thinking today that I have had such a wonderful month-plus since returning from Guatemala (and needless--because you're an avid follower of my blog already--to say, my five weeks in Guatemala were indescribably exciting), but I haven't been writing so much about my time home, in New Orleans, with Jesse, my sister and my friends. I'm having all these wonderful times and I'm afraid if I don't write about them, someday I'll not remember how happy I was. So I'm going to try to capture some of the memories I've had recently. I just get so bogged down in doing things sometimes, that I feel like I don't have time to write. I guess that's a good thing. But still, in a way, as strange as this may seem, writing is almost honoring and a show of appreciation (in my head anyway) for all the good times I have been having. Maybe I'm weird, but...let me pay homage to my life (unfortunately, sounding egocentric).

Jesse and I have had a relaxing Sunday so far. (He's playing Oblivion while I type this). He surprised me by asking if I wanted to go to Parasol's, "the premier Irish Pub" with the best roast beef sandwich (according to Where Y'at magazine and I'd have to agree). It's "in the heart of the Irish channel," and I didn't know where that was until today. I had always thought that the Irish channel ran somewhere between Whole Foods and Tchop, but we were off Jackson, on Constance, in the lower Garden District. Nevertheless, it was delicious like so many hole-in-the-wall places in NOLA. With a name like Parasol's, I had expected umbrellas and pastel-colored houses so characteristic of New Orleans, but no, it was the other facade characteristic--fading and peeling paint. But, the inside was dive-y and the dining area had framed clippings of all the periodical coverage Parasols had received. Jesse also told me that the St. Patrick's Block Party is held there annually and though he hasn't been, it's supposed have a monstrous crowd. We then went to Walmart and Petco to get some things. We got a bunch of things for Saki, including a new sweater (that turns out to be too small) and a fur-menator (or some word like that) that seems to be pretty effective at taking off/brushing both her undercoat and uppercoat so she doesn't give our apartment a newly-shed carpet each day.

Yesterday was Drew's and my Habitat for Humanity adventure. It was a lot of fun, learning to put up siding, and by the end of the day, we were spent. It ended around 4, a little later than expected. We were sweaty, my head under my cap kept on itching, and Drew could feel the sand in between her toes. But, we went to Whole Foods to pick up nutritional drinks after, and then she treated us to Bee Sweet Cupcakes nearby. OMG, they were good. It was so fun to do everything with her that day though because I hadn't seen her in so long, and we caught up on a lot of things that have been going on in our lives, as well as were inspired to imagine some ideas for future careers (dessert restaurant, construction company, and some others haha). We got to our apartment, where Jes was locked in all day (oops) because I had his keys in my purse from the night before. I felt bad because he wanted to get a hair cut, but even worse, because Saki wasn't able to be taken out since I left around 7:30 that morning. So Jes and I took her out right away while Drew showered and got ready. We were going to meet the lady who works at Sucré, but we lost track of her so Drew may go meet her later. When Jeff got off from work, we decided to go to Kyoto. Jesse and I hadn't been before (though it's by Creole Creamery, La Thai, Crepe Nanou--and a lot of other places we've been, plus a few blocks from his old apartment). And, though I only saw one potentially-Japanese person in the restaurant (and an inordinately high number of children for a sushi place), it was pretty damn good! Plus, lychee sorbet that all four of us shared for dessert! We'll definitely be returning, and I hope we can bring Hillary and Michael there, once Hillary is able to eat sushi again (i.e., when Cadence is born?). I recommend it. Drew and I wanted either Indian or sushi, and with the dearth of Indian restaurants in the New Orleans metro area, we decided on sushi. I havne't been to many sushi places in New Orleans (in comparison to where I've been in BR). And, of the places I have been, I find half to be just okay. But, I should also sample some others. Gosh, I love food! Which is something else Drew and I were talking about. We both love baking, though she's more into pastries than I am (probably because I'm not so good at the presentation stuff). And, I just want to learn how to cook--all kinds of food! Vietnames, Thai, French (just watched Julie and Julia with Mia on Friday), and many others! Filipino and Indian, too! So I mentioned to Drew what Lydia told me about the place that has cooking lessons and wine tasting for like 15$! We're going to have to look into that--especially since Jesse Maxwell and I haven't been cooking. :( But, I need a job first. No money, no ingredients, no cooking. Speaking of which, I begin my part-time, temporary one this week (Tuesday training and field sites W-F). I have an interview on Tuesday as well for SLICE (my second one, but I think I'll really get it this time). Plus, it will be nice to get 50% off at Juan's and SLICE. And, I'll be asking both LSU and SLICE if there are any health insurance packages that I can participate in (even if I have to pay extra). Anyhow, so not to ramble and change the subject so much, but I'm excited about this week ahead too. Jesse and I will celebrate our one-and-a-half year anniversary at the end. We're supposed to go to Brennan's, but I don't know if that's definite. He has a gift card from Forman Perry from last Christmas.
Friday, Mahsa (our new neighbor), her friend Cristin (another 2L transfer to Tulane), Mia, Jes and I went to Santa Fe for dinner. Confusingly, the burger wasn't as good as usual, but the owner was just as nice as always. We met Lydia and her roommate, Jenny, afterwards at Swirl. I hadn't seen Lydia in so long either so it was good to see her. I had invited a few other people, but they were no shows and lame (not really), but it's too bad because after Swirl, Jenny decided that we should show Cristin and Mahsa around since they both moved here about a month ago. We were rejected from The Cure (a cool-looking, posh 21+ bar on Freret) because Mia was with us, but it was okay because then we went to Bruno's. Actually, being the old people Jes and I are, we hadn't been to The Cure, and I hadn't been to the new Bruno's until this night. I guess a lot of law students hang out there because that's what it seemed like, and Jesse's been before. Mia, Jesse and I called it an early night as there were plans to go down to Frenchmen, but I was waking up before 7 for Habitat and Mia was going to BR to see my mom.

Last week was Mia-filled and we did a lot of things (will say more later), including going to Pandora's for snoballs. Mia introduced me, and they were good! I like snoballs, but they're nothing special in my book usually, but geez, these were good. I got a small mango with condensed milk and Mia, Piña Colada con leche condensed. Serving hamburgers, hotdogs, and corndogs too, it's on Carrollton, past Jesuit towards Mid-City. I'm sure it was in that LA Times article of NOLA snoballs though!

So I'm trying to get my life together down here here. It's reassuring, albeit not so comforting to see and talk to my friends about this job-searching phase. Drew lives at home right now and while I do miss my family, I'm enjoying living with Jesse on our own in NOLA. Apparently, they think I'm abandoning them, but I'm not. I'm just trying to set myself up, in adulthood. Luckily, because of Jesse, I am able to do that. Mia went back this weekend, but I couldn't go with her so maybe I will next time she goes back. I hope that my mom visits NOLA soon--maybe when my dad returns from MO. Jes' parents are coming in for Labor Day, and I haven't seen them since my graduation, I believe, since I went to Guatemala soon thereafter. I don't know what we're doing yet.

I went to practice or start on the Third Movement of Moonlight today, but it seems as though I don't have it here. I'll have to remember to take it back next time I'm in BR. Well, this is a long post so I'll end here and write more later...

Adieu!

Oh, one more thing:

Places to take Mia:
Parasols, Bee Sweet, Sucre, and the Lake.

No comments: