Monday, June 14, 2010

Jobs, Volunteering, Interning

Friday morning, I woke up to an email reply to a craigslist post I responded to the night before. I called and was asked to come in that morning so I had an interview with Ecole Bilingue for their immersion summer camp. The school is French immersion, but the camp has groups for Mandarin, Spanish and French immersion. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. That's always the case for me though--waiting to hear back. I told them I was rusty, but that I'm confident with support and preparation, I could be a good fit--a learner and a teacher. It's an internship so I'd just have to work 4.5 hours a day and assist the staff they already have. The pay is incredibly low, but it's something. I'd have to lead activities (I can't remember how many a week), and she asked me if I had any special skills. I said I played the piano (uneasy facial expression) so maybe that'll motivate me to get back into that. Three of the kids I babysit are attending this camp so it'll be nice to see them on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, I have other good news! I responded to a craigslist post for contributing writers for a NOLA fashion magazine and they replied saying that they're interested. Unfortunately, it's time for print (TFP), but it really is a good way to hone my craft and to get my work read. That's what I did at Offbeat (who currently has around 11 interns so I haven't wanted/been able to go back) about two years ago so I think getting back into the business is a welcomed necessity. I've also corresponded with Invade NOLA so I might be starting a biweekly/monthly foodie review piece. I don't know what the subject of my first piece will be. Unfortunately, I'm limited by cost right now. I hate to harp on my financial situation, but it really does have an affect on what I do.

So look for these at http://www.ameliegmag.com/ and http://invadenola.com/. Freelance writer in me, here I come. That is, if I can afford to support my lifestyle on the pittance I can scrounge up from writing.

No comments: