Friday, November 20, 2009

Where to begin?

I have been pretty busy, I'd say. I've been recovering for two weeks now from this really bad cold. But, every morning, I still wake up with a sore throat though the coughing has begun to subside. Throughout the day, I feel nearly alright, but closer to bedtime, it starts to bother me again. And, I can't go to the doctor without having to pay out of pocket, of which my meager salary does not afford me the luxury. I took antibiotics that my aunt gave me (she was visiting for her 50th birthday, and she's a psychiatrist), but they did not cure me.

I've been working and teaching ESL as usual, missing two days from each the week before last because I was so sick. I have prescribed a schedule for myself because on Saturday, December 5th (two weeks from yesterday), I will be sitting on LSU's campus around noon, beginning my computer-based GRE. I'm trying to keep to the schedule, but obviously, I diverge from it, mainly out of laziness, but also on accident. Literally sometimes. Today, for instance, Mia and I were going to study. We decided on Rue [de la Course] because though we love The Orange Couch (affectionately deemed The Red Sofa by me), we were not in the mood to drive to the Marigny to pay 5.00 for their delicious Thai ice tea milk shakes. So, to Oak. But, in the 2-3 minutes that it takes me to drive down Carrollton from my house to Oak, I realize that there's an inordinate amount of pedestrian traffic on the neutral ground and the sidewalks, even for a Sunday! Then it dawned on me. The Po-boy Festival! It was today; we didn't end of going this year, but last year, it was good, claustrophobic fun! But, Mia and I were going to study so I turned around to head to the Rue on Magazine, figuring we might pass a cafe to try out for the first time. Well, I'm driving down Magazine, maybe 30 mph, and right in front of Whole Foods, a person drove right into the driver's side of the car. Literally, she was coming out of the Chico's parking lot, and she veered into the opposite lane--the on-coming traffic and I was it. Well, all there were unharmed, and things worked out fine. But, now we have to get the Accord fixed. As crazy as my sentiment is, I'm just glad that it wasn't my fault (and that everyone involved is okay). I just don't remember a time that I've been in an accident that wasn't in some way my fault; this has never been the case with me. I've backed into so many things--a tree, a couple of cars. I swiped a curb a month or two ago, but these were all in some way my fault. This time, I was doing everything right--paying attention, no radio, no cellphone, going the speed limit. And, as the Ford Explorer went came into our car, I had this indescribable feeling of slow motion. Well, I've got to call the insurance company tomorrow so her insurance's representative can come and give an estimate before we can have the car fixed.

Well, after waiting for a while for the police and discussing the insurance dealings, Mia and I ended up making our way to Fuel Cafe on Magazine to study, and we were hungry by now! It's cute and we shared an order of eggs Benedict with pulled pork--so good--on a bed of corn bread and drizzled in chipotle hollandaise sauce. We also had a side of cream cheese grits. I had a large cup of camomile tea. I recommend this place, except for their weird hours. Yes, it's Sunday, but the door indicated that they close mid-afternoon most days. Nevertheless, it was a find! 

Mia was in Vancouver, Washington the past 5 days for her cross country nationals; she returned yesterday, but it knee-deep in make-up homework and studying. But, since we got to Fuel around 1:40, we had to find another place to study. So we just went to the Loyola library. I love being on campus sometimes, but the heavy food had made me tired so at first, I struggled to stay awake. I worked on my GRE prep some more before I quit and later, Mia and I headed back to my apartment. 

Jesse had been home all day, and since I didn't know what to cook, we ordered pizza and put up our Christmas tree. It's Jesse and my second Christmas! Mia's our adopted daughter and we had fun before dropping Mia back to her dorm.

1 comment:

Drew said...

I'm SO glad you are okay! I had no idea you were in a car accident! Don't worry about the GRE, you are smart , write well and read more than the average American- You are going to rock it out!

Let me know how it goes and keep in touch!