Sunday, November 1, 2009

Winter Weight

I'm getting fat, and I don't want to hear any objections otherwise. It sort of all began because I stopped running on a semi-regular basis. It's been getting colder, and something that this change of weather precipitates, obviously, is getting sick. So I got sick; the nurse at McGehee said that I had a cold, nothing to worry about, so that needless to say relieved me with all the stir about the different strands of flu. Not to mention, I don't have health insurance, but I will get to that later. So on top of the fact that my throat has been hurting for the past few weeks (mainly as soon as I wake up and towards the end of the day), and in the first days, I had throbbing head- and ear-aches, the chilly weather does not make me feel any more enthusiastic about running outside. I much prefer running outdoors to running indoors (and without a tuition-covered rec plex to go to, this is only an option when Neill can sneak me into Reilly). And though running warms you up, I just am feeling lazy and unmotivated. I think I've actually paradoxically been enjoying my sore throat sometimes so I can excuse myself from exercising. But, I'm thinking today will be the day that I actually throw on the old pair of underarmor Mia gave me and hit the tracks (the streetcar tracks, that is). But, then again, the last 2 - 3 days have been "the day," too.

I like to keep myself busy, which has been my excuse for not having updated this blog and livejournal lately. By the time I want to sign on and share, it's late, and I'm tired. But, circuitously, I keep on putting it off, and the sheer volume of blogging I fear to face has just demotivated me even further. I am still teaching ESL and trying to keep up with my lesson plans. Like many other times in my life, Thursday, I rushed home to bake a batch of healthy chocolate cupcakes (they're made with applesauce) for my class (for our Halloween class); Neill and Mia had helped me make loaves of pumpkin bread the night before, but I took one to McGehee to share with my coworkers since I had already mentioned bringing some the day before. And, both baked goods came out well; I was particularly impressed with the pumpkin bread because I hadn't made it before; the recipe came from Mia's iPhone food network page. But, that's another part of my problem discussed in the first paragraph--I like to bake, and I consequently end up eating a substantial amount of what I bake. It's never been a secret that I love to eat. It just seems like lately, quantity control has been an issue--my issue. I seem to eat whatever's in front of me (when I'm not busy running around because I've "committed myself to other things"). Also, sometimes in the frenzies I've created for myself, I forget to eat a meal--most of the time, breakfast. That just makes me even more hungrier for the next meal, where more often than not, I overeat. This is a great concern to me. I don't want to gain weight, and saying that doesn't make me have an eating disorder. I don't want to stand on a scale right now for fear of what I may weigh, but the last time I did so (probably sometime last month?), I was about 115ish. I should be 110; I'd like to be 107. I'm only 5'2''. Not only do I need to exercise, I need to balance the types of foods I eat (something that seemed to come so naturally to me before, and I need to moderate a better schedule for eating. Maybe because my MWF, TR, and weekend schedules are so different, I'm easily thrown off. I need to put more effort into this. Remember how good it felt when I stopped eating Popeyes? And I was almost tempted this weekend, but I had a good support encouraging not to give in--my Jesse) I need to feel like that again! I need to feel the adrenaline that I would when I ran down the line on a Sunday morning, listening to Muse, or in Audubon Park! So what am I doing sitting on the futon in my PJs and Jesse's law school sweatshirt, while he listens to an audiobook and plays a video game?

2 comments:

Drew said...

Aw, getting up and getting out the door is the hardest part! If you're worried about the cold start out with leggings, a sports bra, a light weight shirt and a pullover that you can easily tie around your waist. When you start warming up you can take off the pullover and tie it around you and then if you get really hot you can roll the leggings up a little bit.

Maybe you could motivate yourself with a new pair of shorts or leggings? Like, if you run three times this week you can go get a new pair of shorts on Saturday!

:-)

I'm materially motivated.

If you couldn't tell.

:-)

Estranged Jazz said...

Haha, I would do that except at this point, my paycheck is already spent on paying rent and bills. Hmph. Good advice though; I'll try out the leggings and pullover, probably. I'll have to put some running apparel on my Christmas list...