Sunday, April 18, 2010

La semana pasada...que ocupada! (The past week...how busy!)

This past week was my week back from spring break.

Today I've really started to get into my Praxis study guide. As much as I'd like to blow of this test and ride it off as just a $50 loss (because I'd get the remaining 80 if I cancelled), this is something that I know that I should do. So this week will be even busier than last because, of course, there is far more preparation that I have to do than I was uninformedly planning. I think I'll be okay come Saturday morning; I think I'll pass.

Jesse and I went to City Park today to work on our applicable studies-- he, animal law readings and Me, of course, Praxis study guide. But, this morning before I ran and we went to the park, I stopped by Borders to buy birthday cards for my mom and Jesse's sister, Jamie. I ended up splurging on two magazines, Poets and Writers and a British high fashion one, Lula. Honestly, I shouldn't have and truthfully, I could have bought/wanted so many more if I had stayed on that part of the bookshelves. But, just one flip and I couldn't help it; nevermind the 16-dollar pricetag. I didn't buy Boho or Believer because I figure I could read Drew's when I hope to meet up with her sometime this week to have a movie and magazine afternoon! I'll write more about the magazines though once I've actually had time to keep them open. I'm using these as a reward for all the effort I'm putting into the Praxis exam (not that it's an inordinate amount).

Anyhow, I was supposed to cook this evening (chorizo seitan, frijoles negros, tortillas y huevos), but since we were in the mood for something else, Jesse and I decided on the new Magazine Street location of Sukho Thai (did you know that the name means "dawn of happiness"?). We picked up Mia and then enjoyed a thoroughly satisfying dinner with plenty of leftovers. Not to mention, the new place is incredibly spacious, cosmopolitan and all around, New Orleans zen. I had the vegetarian yellow curry, Jesse had a clay pot of seafood, and Mia had pad thai. Hmm, I definitely recommend it. The one on Royal is just as good, and it's one of the first places Jesse impressed me with in our first couple of weeks of dating--over two years ago. It's a regular Thai spot in our restaurant repetoire. But, I'm glad there's a new place Uptown to compete with Basil Leaf and LA Thai. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love LA Thai, but Sukho's just a bit more for your money. I also love Bangkok, but I don't generally compare it just because I think the owners are from a specific part in Thailand and they incorporate their traditions into the food. I love it, but it's different from most of the places I've had Thai. Somebody, perhaps Jesse?, said that it's like homecooked Thai. I'd have to agree with that opinon. Oh, and I like Chill Out Cafe on Maple, too. Ah, food.

So this week...I babysat twice and both days were pleasant. I got to take Isa to swim lessons and when there, I was propositioned by a mother of three to babysit one day a week. They live on the West Bank, and I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I still work at McGehee five days a week. I dogsat Balto and on Saturday when Jesse brought me to their house, we decided to eat breakfast at Whole Foods. We shared part of a delicious French cheese plate (including apple paste, or membrilla de manzana) and I had a chocolate croissant and Jesse, a cinnamon twist. Plus, chocolate milk and Odwalla mango tango, respectively. Ah, food...again.

Friday, when I got off of work, I swung by Xavier to hang out with Mia until her 2 o'clock lab and we went to the new Pinkberry (http://www.pinkberry.com/) across from WF. I wasn't planning on getting anything since I had a pretty filling lunch, but once there, I couldn't resist. Size-wise, I upgraded too--from mini to small. But, it was frozen yogurt topped with fruits; I got the mango yogurt with fresh kiwi, mango, strawberries and raspberries and pomagranate juice! There are so many options for toppings and yogurts. Ack, my blog is really starting to get heavy on the food.

Nevertheless, I think I'm keeping relatively fit. I ran both yesterday and today (and a few times last week) and today my diet consisted of the following:

Breakfast: organic vanilla yogurt, banana, flax granola, and strawberries
After run snack: chocolate soymilk, banana, and strawberry shake (no sweeteners added)
Picnic lunch: cheese, apple paste, self-made caesar salad (with amazing WF herbed croutons) and an apple.
Dinner: veggie yellow curry over Jazmine rice

I need to keep at a similar daily diet and I'll be in better shape in no time.

So this entry goes on and maybe isn't so chronological, but there's a lot that's happened in a week, so much that maybe I can't remember it all in its order and importance. Lastly, I'll mention that after the Praxis, I'll be fully ready to prepare for my Austin magazine-interview. I'm so ambivalent about the job because I really do love New Orleans, but as I learn more about the magazine, I know that writing would be such a lucky and fulfilling job for me! Just waiting for a response. Also in our future...apartment hunting? Dunno where yet though.

Until next time (hopefully sooner than later)!

No comments: