Nearly a week ago, I participated in an interview date for teachNOLA. It's somewhat like Teach for America in that it is an alternative certification program which seeks recent college graduates to apply for and teach in public schools. Whether the newly-christened teachers spend 2 years or a lifetime teaching is thought of to be beneficial because the quality of teachers graduated is expected to be refreshingly high and from diverse academic backgrounds. I went to Lafayette School on Carrollton last Saturday morning as one of around 150 applicants at that event alone. This was the third interview event and I was told (among many things and pieces of information) that there were only 40-50 positions available.
I don't want to really go into all the questions asked or the particular order of the activities partially because I don't wish to relive it; partially for brevity sake. I was interviewing for a Spanish teaching position in grades 1 through 12 and I gave my sample 5-minute lesson in Spanish and English. It was directed at an elementary audience. It went better than I had anticipated, but not as good as I would have liked. I wasn't as articulate in my interview either; I feel it was a case of nerves. But, prior to the actual interview, I felt relatively confident and pumped. I had gotten so much support from the career and counseling services counselor, Tamara, and Dr. Garza and Jesse. I guess when it came down to it, I second guessed myself because of just how much I feel that I don't know about the state of the American (and even lower, that of New Orleans') school system. But, there was an incredibly qualified and competitive pool of applicants, and I could feel the potential as I walked through the school's cafeteria that morning. They came from all over the US too. Perhaps even from abroad.
Anyhow, I'll know the decision in about two weeks--maybe one by now, but I'm not holding my breath. Not to be negative, but I doubt that I got it. But, if I did get it, I sure would be happy!
I'm still waiting to hear from St. Martin's Episcopal in Metairie. I heard through the grapevine that they may be in need of an elementary Spanish teacher next fall. I got my Praxis study guide in the mail the other day and I will be quite devoted the next week and the following weekends leading up to April 24 to successfully passing the Spanish Content Knowledge exam with flying colors! On a divergent note, Neill called me this evening to tell me some wonderful news: Anthropologie is coming to New Orleans. After finding out that Anthropologie is taking the old Pottery Barn space at Shops at Canal, I logged onto anthropologie.com and filled out an application. So funny that it's taking that spot, too, because a few weeks ago when I was there with Drew, I was somewhat regretful that the amazing space wouldn't be occupied by PB any longer. Well, retail isn't my dream job, but Anthropologie isn't just any store. I also find that working there would be in line with future magazine opportunities. Lastly, I just want to keep my options open.
No comments:
Post a Comment