Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Where do I begin?

What a busy weekend that flew by. Jesse and I got back into New Orleans at about 5:20 yesterday and waited Neill to pick us up. I haven't spent a lot of time in New Orleans-Metairie/Kenner rush hour traffic, but we weren't able to get Jesse to class until past 6:30 and it began at 6. But, it was all okay and he was able to sign the roll. I know Neill was upset with me because of my blunt questions and lack of communication and I'm sorry, but all's well that ends well, right?

We got into Kansas City around 9 on Friday evening, but because my mom and Mia got lost and combined with the 3.5-4 hours it takes to get from Linn Creek to Kansas City Airport, we didn't end up getting to the house until after 2 am Saturday night. Mia and my mom picked us up without a hesitation, but I don't know if I'll fly to Kansas City again (or even St. Louis) to visit my dad--unless we get a rental car. It's a lot to ask I think, especially since the KCIA is like 15 miles away from the city itself. It was big and spead out, we learned, when my dad brought us there yesterday. Either way, I didn't realize that it would take so long to get to the house after landing so maybe in the future, we'll drive the entire way, but that's just so time-consuming, and flying gets so expensive. Why do my dad and grandma have to live in spread-out MO? Once we got there though, I enjoyed it for the most part.

My grandmother really took a liking to Jesse, but though I know that Jesse is a wonderful boyfriend and that I'm lucky to have found him, I sometimes don't put as much stock into what my grandmother says because she has a habit of being both racist and classist so it's hard for me to tell if she likes someone for who he/she is or what his/her profession is. She also asked us ad nauseum (directed more towards Jesse this time though) when we're getting married, do we want to have kids, when I'm going to get a ring, etc., among other seemingly inappropriate things. Anyhow, minus that, the smoking and the few periods of tension that almost led up to full-blown fights (just between various people in my family except for my mom), the weekend, I think, was pretty nice. I don't want to say a success because it sounds weird qualifying it as some kind of objective, but the lake [house] was actually quite fun and we got to do a little bit with everyone. Two days was not enough time, but that's all the time off Jesse could muster between work and school. (He needs to save any other days he might have for finals study days.) And, while he's not rushing to get back to Linn Creek, I know that he liked the place relatively well and wasn't as uncomfortable as he's been in my dad's company in the past (i.e., last Easter). Maybe by next Easter, Daddy won't be addicted to facebook, cigarettes or rum and coke. I'm not holding my breath though.

We did a fair amount of shopping at the outlet mall there so I got a lot of good deals. I should take photos like Drew does, but I doubt it'll happen. I got a $60 pair of pants for less than $6 at the Banana Republic factory store, and I got some cute shorts and on-sale courdaroy pants from J. Crew. Also, did you know that J. Crew gives a 15% discount to students and teachers? Score.

Jesse had his first frozen custard when Mama, Mia, Grandma, Jesse and I went after mass. I only had one this trip though; I usually eat a lot in general each time I go up there because we're in the house a lot of the day and the food's just staring at me. I have a hard time saying no if I'm unoccupied and it's in front of me. Sunday, we went to mass and then had a delicious lunch, cooked/prepared by my mom and Mia. The rest of the afternoon, we took family pictures around the house and rested (Jesse did homework, too). In the late afternoon, we drove my grandma back to her house in Columbia, visited her a little until it was dark and thunder-y, and then headed back to Daddy's.

Not going to plan another trip to MO soon, but I may return with my mom and Mia for a short trip this summer. And, my Uncle Alfie invited us to his condo in NJ this summer so maybe Jesse and I will visit Philly and more of my family. We'll see.

I've got some script-writing to do today and some Praxis-studying. I did nothing productive regarding those two things in Missouri. It's such a lovely day outside that I want to make it to the park or a cafe to do so, but after leaving her the whole weekend, I feel guilty to leave Saki part of the day. If I bring myself to getting out of bed again, I'm about to go runnning to work off some of what I consumed all weekend.

No comments: