Sunday, March 7, 2010

End of Ado entry

Getting back to Friday. So after lunch, we ended up doing some errands and getting coffee before Drew and her mom dropped me off at Dr. Garza's for my playdate with Isa. For some ribbon (for a color sample for Sucre), we stopped by Town and Country on St. Charles. I hadn't been there before and was delighted with the fabric, the ribbons and the buttons! Unfortunately, it made me remember that I cannot sow. I think I'm going to ask for a sewing machine for my next birthday, but learning to use it will be the hard part. Oh, and I don't want one unless Jes and I get a slightly larger apartment. Anyhow, we popped into the bridal boutique before leaving and it was so nice to see all the beautiful wedding gowns. I was envious, but with prices like $2500 and $4100, I cannot fathom paying for a wedding--not that I even dream of a dress near those prices.

My playdate with Isa was wonderful! She and I really got along well, and her warming up to me was serendipitous as Dr. Garza said she's rather shy and the last few times I've seen her, she's been shy, sleeping, or recently awakened from a nap (or a combination of the three). I actually also just like hanging out with Dr. Garza. Is that strange? She was my Social Movements in Latin America and Cultural Anthropology professor. I just think she's so cool, fascinating and learned. Like I once aspired to be like Dr. Hunt, I find myself thinking of Dr. Garza as my role model. I feel silly saying this, and I'm not saying she's my idol. But, I hope that this is the beginning of a long friendship (unlike the now cordial interaction Dr. Hunt and I have). *Dr. Hunt was the Assistant Dean who readmitted me to Loyola after my semester of exclusion; I don't talk to or see her much these days, and she told me that it would pretty much be impossible for me to get into a funded grad program. During my first semester back, I went to her for comfort and advice as much as I could. I strayed away as I got back on my feet...

Anyhow, I'll be babysitting Isa twice later this week, and I'm looking forward to watching her the night of their wedding.

My weekend was pretty nice though this morning, Jesse and I both woke up with sore throats, his more than mine. My nose has also been a faucet. Neither of us want to go to work tomorrow, but what else can we do? Oh, and I was reminded today that next weekend is daylight saving. Springing forward, I hate losing that one hour!

I was being a bitch to my sister today, but I have a hard time not saying exactly how I feel when I find her annoying. I need to work on that, and I even--wait for it--prayed about having patience today at Mass. I don't know why I bothered. I don't usually pray; it's just not something I feel honest about doing. And with this particular issue, I know it's something I have to work on proactively.

The three of us (four if you include Saki) went to the fly this afternoon and Neill met us there for a picnic lunch. Jesse read, and I wanted to, but was distracted. There were so many people there! Traffic was terrible, but it was nice to see everyone enjoying the first really gloriously warm and pretty weekend. It reminded me of a French boardwalk at the turn of the 19th or 20th century. Though one group even brought a parachute and started playing games. Remember doing that in elementary school?!

Well, adieu for now. Will write more Monday or Tuesday. Promise.

No comments: