Saturday, March 6, 2010

More, but not all I want to say

Back from making french toast out of raisin challah with quemada, among other chores. I also figured out finally what to do for Lent. I was in the kitchen cooking breakfast and starting lunch when I decided to move appliances around a little to see if I could get some more counter surface area. Then I went into clean mode and I decided to get rid of some of the tupperware and pyrex containers I had been putting off from taking out of the fridge. Long story short, I'm giving up wasting food. I'm going to make a more conscious effort to eat mainly out of the house (including bringing lunch which I have been doing more and more), and fixing only what we can eat. I know that it's not always purposeful (I mean, it rarely is), but poor planning has led to so much wasted food. Aside from it being careless, inconsiderate and me feeling that somehow I'm not being thankful when they're starving people in the city, in the country and around the world, from a practical (material, economic, conservative) standpoint, this stuff costs money! I won't give you an inventory of all the stuff I threw significant portions of 32-ounces of yogurt. Now, Jesse and I are now able to buy more and more of what we want at Whole Foods and just things that I might need (e.g., special small bottles of $19 skin oil for my extremely sensitive skin).

Oh that note, I'm so excited because he returned from the grocery today with Gianna cookies! They're so good, and he's so sweet to have thought of it. We're about to go to Best Buy, World Market (for canisters for grains, couscous, lentils, beans) and the fly to read.

Lastly, is my writing/blogging too "play-by-play"? Just wondering.

1 comment:

Drew said...

That is a great Lent idea! I hate how much food we waste but it's really hard to make food for one or two people!

Don't worry about your blogging being too play by play, eventually you'll get into the groove and you'll write about all kinds of stuff!