Saturday, March 6, 2010

Without Much Further Ado (or "I do")

It's been quite a while, and I've actually considered sitting down to blog quite a few times within the last month (as so much as been going on), but every time I have, it seems likes it's been late and I've been tired (I do have to be at work for 7:30-7:40 on any given weekday). So when I considered doing so, reluctantly, I was thinking of all the things that I wanted to write that I was afraid blogging would be emotionally draining. I suppose like everything else in my life (at some point or another), I procrastinate.

Well, I will start on the most recent on my mind since I'll have to backlog quite a bit, but as Drew suggested, I'll break it up and come back to discuss a few things that happened since Mardi Gras-ish. Namely, Jesse's and my two-year-anniversary, my first rejection letter from a grad school program, and other happy moments in my life.

Drew and her mom came into town yesterday to meet with the people at Sucre about her wedding cake and for the three of us to have lunch together. Little Gate had parent-teacher conferences. And, while Camille told me I could take the day off as a personal day, I didn't want it to affect my PTO. I've already taken 3 days off for being sick (one of those days being mainly anxiety-driven as I had to complete the New School application by midnight EST and as usual, I waited to the 11th hour; I know, I procrastinate. But, it always works out for me, and if it doesn't, then I get over it). So I had to work in a toddler room although I was told that I'd be watching children whose parents brought them along while they were in conferences. It was fine. I was happy to work with Ashley because she's always so pleasant and sweet (in contrast to a certain other coworker that I spend a significant amount of time with whose condescending and self-absorbed). Well, I got off around noon, and I hadn't received a text from Drew yet so I headed over to Sucre on foot (Mia had her car), which is maybe 7-8 blocks from McGehee. :)

Once I got there, I glanced around, and I hadn't met her mom before, but I had seen photos. I also hadn't seen Drew in a while so while I did recognize her, it was a little disorienting to see her looking so grown up. I know that sounds weird, but I guess that's what I thought at first (maybe, too, it was that she was ordering a wedding cake and that's something I usually associate with being an adult? I don't know.). So I met Ms. Lauri (spelling?) and throughout the afternoon, I would realize how much a joy it was to tag along with Drew and her mom (and I noticed so much that they had in common, more than I would have guessed because everything that I've know about Drew has always just been Drew-ness). It made me wonder if I have that much in common with my mom, personality-wise, mannerisms, speech, or opinions.

We quickly decided on a restaurant for lunch and we went to a place I suggested up Magazine. Baru! It was perfect (again). Jesse and I had went there about a year and a month ago for one of our monthly anniversaries, and we had been intensely impressed, but we had not made it back (partially because we've reduced our eating out for a couple of reasons, but namely financial. But also because, come on, we live in New Orleans. If we lived here our entire lives, we still wouldn't exhaust our options for delicious food). But, Drew and her mom loved it. Her mom said that it was the best place she'd been to in a while. It was also nice to see the ambiance of the daytime (fun, Caribbean and intimate) in contrast to the (white tableclothed, sultry and romantic) nighttime feel. First, we were offered an array of light and refreshing drinks (none alcoholic as Baru is BYOB). Drew got the mango spritzer, Ms. Lauri got the iced tea, and I got the freshly-squeezed limeade. Drew and Ms. Lauri both said the mango spritzer was delicious, but I didn't want to try it because I am weary of getting sick from LG (we have a lot of runny noses and coughing going on; some stomach viruses went around last week, too) right now and didn't want to potentially pass that to Drew or her mom. I got the limeade (I know [gasp] I didn't get the mango drink), because I didn't want the bubbles. I wish they had had liquado. Anyway, that's moot. So Ms. Lauri got the cream of portobello soup which she said was fantastic and which looked so! We all shared the guacabello dip, which I have attempted to recreate on multiple occasions (ironically enough, on Thursday night as well), and I was floored by how far I really was from it on my most recent attempt (12+ months'll blunt the tastebuds). This time the guacabello dip was served on three perfectly crisp and buttered crostinis (last time I was there, it was served in a bowl with tortilla chips), but la tapa was just right. Drew and her mom even commented how the seasoning and spices were all perfectly blended. Not too strong a taste of lime or cilantro or chicharon. Well, we all ordered off the lunch menu though I didn't realize mine would be a sandwich. They both got these shrimp wraps with avocado among other tasty dressings, and I ordered the seared tuna (medium rare, of course) which was heavenly, even though I was tempted to get el cubano (but I'm trying to adhere to the Catholic Lenten traditions this year). My tuna came on a warm thin long, yet thickly sliced piece of good (almost like a bruschetta is the closest thing I can think of) bread, greens, avocado and an indiscernible condiment (housemade no doubt). All of our plates came with a shot glass-sized bowl of black beans (with corn and diced tomato) and non-broken, thin thin thinly sliced plantains garnished with course salt. Another thing I'd like to point out is that it was all well-timed. You didn't feel rushed so they could seat another table. The food came out as it should so we weren't filled up right way with no room for next course. And, I never felt as if the waitress was interrupting. All and all satisfying! And of course, the company was lovely and long-awaited.

Next, to the rest of the day! But, now, I need to go cook french toast, if the challah is done defrosting.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Glad you had fun! It was wonderful to see you!