Written Saturday, not the posted Wednesday. A few nights ago Jesse put on Food, Inc. He had mentioned wanting to watch it previously, and I sat down and rather unexpectedly on my part, we began watching it. He's been taking an animal law class, which he particularly finds interesting, and generally when one of his professors suggests outside of class media that's not dry law theory, Jesse looks into it. I was a little reluctant to watch an investigative journalistic type film on food because I expected to find many graphic images of animals to the slaughter and maltreatment. And, not to say that this film didn't expose some of it (and I did have to turn my head from the TV a handful of times), but I was relieved that it was done tastefully for lack of a better word and relied on words and just the right amount of picture to inform us. I'm glad I watched it because now, I feel that I have to do my part to not provide the demand for the big company suppliers in the meat and agricultural industries. I want to recommend this film to everyone who buys groceries. I don't want to write a synopsis of the film though because I don't think I could do it justice. Below are a few links that I think might prove informative and thought-provoking. Food, Inc. is available to stream on netflix.com. Watch it and then act accordingly based on your own feelings.
http://www.foodincmovie.com/
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/inspiredprotagonist/monsanto-evil-company (Monsanto has a big plant in St. Charles parish, where Jesse grew up; Much of the money given to the school system that Jesse went through is donated by the many plants contained in and around Luling, Louisiana)
I'll try to write more on any changes in my life (food consumption, price differences, etc). I'm trying to not support the major companies who don't have respect for their animals, their workers and the environment. I can understand not wanting to make the effort to do some of this, but I do think that once you learn about an injustice, it's not right to sit complacently if you can help it--no matter how small the action is.
No comments:
Post a Comment